Skip to main content

Enter to Win....

A few Saturdays ago, after an early dinner, Mr. Urban suggested visiting the nearby Borders bookstore.


I knew that I should have said no, but I went along anyway... I don't do well with certain things.

Once, on a road trip to the beautiful Okanagan region of British Columbia, a friend suggested stopping at a roadside pub that served the most gigantic hamburgers.  The burgers were so huge that the pub would cover your entire bill if you could finish it and even hang your picture on their wall of fame.  For the fun of it one of my friends ordered one of these monstrosities.  Of course no human should ever be able to finish one of these... the site of it made me feel queasy and I couldn't shake the feeling for the rest of the day.  I was pretty much pale faced and haunted by an enormous pile of ground beef, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes, as though I had witnesses a roadside accident.


So knowing myself I try to keep away from restaurants with abnormally large portions, horror flicks, boxing day sales at stores where eager shoppers pounce around in anticipation  and closing out sales at bookstores.

Although it was only nine days left to the closing of Borders, I saw so many great books still laying around the shelves, although with much less fanfare than they are used to.  I was choked up.  I remembered all the lovely times I had spent cozily in a nook somewhere in their stores, sipping cafe mocha's and flipping through their endless inventory of cookbooks and magazines, exploring all kinds of topics browsing their various ailes.  And now people were picking books from one shelf and throwing them onto another, frantically looking for deals.

I suddenly saw a beloved and familiar book in the hands of a customer... moments later placed carelessly on top of a random pile of books on a table...  I rushed to the table like a mad woman and grabbed the book as though I just rescued my child from a rubble.

I thought I would just give the book,  which is a New York Times best selling food biography, to a friend who is a fantastic cook, since I already have the book myself (and have given many copies as a Birthday or Christmas presents to different friends).

But as it turns out I have already given that friend a copy of the book.

So, I thought, who better to give this book to, than to one of you lovely people who come and visit my blog.

I know you will enjoy this book and you will love making its many delicious and easy recipes (like the Yogurt French Cake?!?).

To win, please leave a comment below on: One tip to keep the Fridge organized.   


If I have already given the book to you, please comment any way.  You can give the book to someone you love.  And if you don't have any fridge organization tips just leave any comment that comes to mind...



One lucky winner will get a copy of Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade Life.  She is an amazing writer, a columnist for Bon Appetit Magazine, and the talent behind the award winning Orangette blog.

Please check back on Friday to see if you have won!

Comments

  1. Dont let the kids or the husband put anything in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impossible. Give up now, and just plan regularly scheduled "fridge clean-up" days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the end of each week have a left over smorgasbord. That's how I keep mine clean of lingering leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fill the fridge with whole and organic foods. Once you realize how much it all costs, you will be sure to consume all the items. This leads to a clean and organized fridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. See through containers and regular clean up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do exactly what Jenny said, I cook or put out just about everything we have out on the counter for us to consume Friday. Once fridge is mostly empty, I clean it and get it ready for its new residents.
    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FORTY THREE YEARS, SEVEN MONTHS AND FORTY DAYS

My life and the life of every Iranian I know,  is bookended by the Iranian Revolution of 1979. It doesn't matter that I was barely old enough to remember this historic event or that I spent the decades that followed it, far far away from Iran, the Revolution of 1979 is a heavy, tacky, cruel bookend that defines who we used to be, who we are and the recurring nightmares and dreams we’ve had for 43 years.  I can pinpoint with certainty the exact month after which a general feeling of displacement settled like sticky dust all over me, my family, my classroom, my teachers, our closest friends, our home, our city… In the years and decades that followed, I never experienced another event that brought such a magnitude of change to the nucleus of life.   Not in Iran, and definitely not after a whole life lived outside of Iran.  Perhaps only recently, the experience of the Trump years and the Covid-19 pandemic, the significant fear, change and frustration that both events brought to our col

On Donald Trump, Crunchy Bananas and our Children... A "How To" on keeping up Spirits and Sanity

The other morning at breakfast, my four year old looked, yet again somberly, at the breakfast before her.  Despite having enthusiastically selected a hodgepodge of liberally salted hard boiled egg whites on the side of toasted hamburger buns, strawberries and vanilla yogurt and a cup of milk, she still could not bring herself to enjoy her breakfast.  Her face was wrinkled, as was mine with exasperation from yet another failed attempt at assembling a palatable breakfast for my picky eater. This one, she is quite the philosopher.  And before I could ask her why she wasn't eating, she said: "Two Things!"  Holding up two tiny fingers.  "The smells of these foods I picked, don't go with each other! And I wish Donald Trump would magically become Hillary Clinton, and the word (world) would be GREAT again".     Despite our best efforts to protect our children from the anxiety of these times, they are alert and picking up on the mood (and the lingo) in the wor

Safa

I have always loved words.  The way some people love shiny new objects.  As soon as I heard a new word, a word that captured my imagination, my energy, my hundreds of unnamed inner thoughts and feelings, I would latch on to it with fearceness, joy and curiosity.  I have also always been intrigued by how regular old words can be used in an unexpected context and evoke bursts of unexpected feelings in the listener, such as laughter, anticipation or tears.  I would search for those words coming out of the mouths of everyone around me, and mentally catalog them like a dutiful librarian, and await the opportunity to say the words with my own mouth out loud to an audience, or better yet use it in an essay where the teacher could grade it, get a kick out of it, or read it to the whole class.      As a child I always loved the Persian word Safa .   For one thing the word sounds so simple, yet sophisticated and beautiful, and for another, each of my memories of hearing this word is stored in th